Monday, October 24, 2011

Jones & Fox - "PIP Generations"

The reading for this week shows data about internet usage for different generations. The adult population of internet users is 30 % Generation Y (age 18-32), 23% Generation X (age 33-44), and 22% Younger Boomers (Age 45-52) . However, there is an increase in older generations using the internet. In 2005, only 26% of ages 70-75 were on line. In 2008, 45% of that generation is on line. Ages 64 and older use the internet mainly for sending e-mails, while ages 18-32 use the internet for entertainment and for communicating with friends and family. 12-17 year olds use the internet most for playing online games. The older generations use the internet less for social use and more for searching, e-mailing, and online shopping. This data proves true in my own life. My mom, who is in the Younger Boomers generation, uses the internet for e-mails and online shopping. Her friends always send her chain e-mails. My grandma also uses the internet for e-mails. She is always sending me chain e-mails which I never read. I use the internet for entertainment, communicating with friends, researching, and online shopping, while my 17 year old sister predominately uses the internet for entertainment and communicating with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment